Once a month, we will host a free, online discussion on a topic related to seasteading. In December 2022, we hosted a casual conversation about cryptocurrency and seasteading with a panel of crypto-innovators and OG seasteading supporters.
Did you know that The Seasteading Institute accepts crypto donations? When you donate crypto, you receive a tax deduction for the value of the crypto, and avoid the capital gains tax you would have paid if you sold the crypto before donating. This means donating crypto translates into a larger donation and a higher deduction. Donate all kinds of cryptocurrencies and help us build our floating future.
John was an early believer in the seasteading concept, starting with the Freedom Ship project. He is currently working as Coordinador del Proyecto BitCheques, a project making Bitcoin accessible to the citizens of El Salvador, whether or not they have a smart phone.
He edited Aeternity Blockchain whitepaper and wiki; developed Freedomship ICO, DAO, and multi tier funding and fractional ownership strategy; and consulted on MS Satoshi Crypto Cruise Ship DAO strategy.
John is also the author of Instead of Politics.
Mike’s vision of digital currencies as a means to promote a fair, decentralized economy dates back to the late 90s. Blockchain technology enables networks which are owned by and controlled by the users.
His background is in mechanical engineering from the aerospace, automotive, medical, and consumer products industries. His goal is to extend the blockchain into the internet of things with open P2P physical networks for P2P autonomous delivery, securing personal and enterprise embedded devices, and delay and disruption tolerant mesh networking for terrestrial and space applications.
He is co-founder of Ark, a lean platform for a fractal network of interconnected nested blockchains ideal for these applications.
Links Shared in Zoom Chat
Books recommended by attendees
- The New Technologies of Freedom by: Darcy W.E. Allen, Chris Berg, and Sinclair Davidson
- The Truth Machine: The Blockchain and the Future of Everything by: Michael J. Casey and Paul Vigna
- The Sovereign Individual by: James Dale Davidson & Lord William Rees-Mogg
- The Internet of Money: A collection of talks by: Andreas M. Antonopoulos
Resources recommended by attendees
- Quadratic Payments: A Primer
- Accept CryptoZ, Crypto directory
- Video of Niall Ferguson arguing that there are historic parallels between the debasement of government currencies during the time of Hapsburg Empire — which lead to the development of decentralized, private bills of exchange — and the current fiat/crypto situation.
- Hypha Earth
- DAO Haus
- bisq decentralized exchange
- Civilization One – Solidity Contract
- Flamingo DAO
- Binance Academy YouTube Channel (introduction to crypto)
- Epistocracy vs. Democracy
- An Introduction to Futarchy by: Vitalik Buterin
- Learn Blockchain Terms YouTube playlist
- Social Policy Bonds “Social Policy Bonds are non-interest bearing bonds, redeemable for a fixed sum only when a targeted social objective has been achieved.”
- Secret Network
- Dai Stable Coin
- DERO Project
- ShapeShift Org Structure
- Monero Atomic Swap
- Mint Base, NFTs and smart contracts