August 25, 2008 by admin
- The first Bay Area Seasteading Social will be on 9/15, sign up here.
- October 10th conference – Online registration/payment are now set up! Press releases coming soon. Spread the word!
- Whether or not you can make the conference, feel free to sign up for our post-conference social events on Saturday October 11th: Continue reading
August 5, 2008 by admin
July was a bit of a slow month as I was wrapping things up at Google, but we now have some key initiatives underway:
July 8, 2008 by admin
- I will probably attend / speak at the Convergence 2008 Unconference in Mountain View on November 15th-16th. Bay Area futurists may want to check it out, it looks to be interesting.
- Website stats. June was a fair bit under May but better than April. Averaged 1900 visits/day and 7500 pages/day (this doesn’t include the wiki).
June 24, 2008 by admin
With my injured shoulder, work has been slow this month.
- Conference – We have tentatively settled on Friday October 10th, at Embassy Suites by SFO (with some Thu evening / Sat morning stuff). The cost will probably be in the $100-$175 range (with meals, not counting hotel room). It will be "unconference" style, with a few keynotes and the main focus being on brainstorming, researching, networking, etc. You can semi-mark your calendars, but we will make a more formal announcement when we have signed a contract and made a deposit.
- Volunteers – Thanks for all the additions to the Volunteer List Wiki page! We will be contacting volunteers over the coming weeks.
- Seastead socials – We’re thinking about having get-togethers in the Bay Area every 4-6 weeks, just general brainstorming/networking/keeping the enthusiasm going over drinks sort of thing. We’ll announce that here when it gets going.
- We are hiring a local offshore engineering firm to do high-level structure conceptual design, and perhaps numerical modeling, simulation, and wave tank testing of some promising designs.
- Research – Nada
June 3, 2008 by admin
Main areas this week – pictures, conference, volunteers, wiki.
May 29, 2008 by admin
Sorry this is late, I’ve been sick since Friday, and a bit overwhelmed with the email deluge resulting from our big media week last week. Plus Monday was a holiday, so Friday will be my seasteading day this week. But I wanted to get this email out because there’s lots in it and will be lots more on Monday, I expect.
May 20, 2008 by admin
Biggest thing this week is tons of web traffic today due to links from high-traffic sites (13K visits so far today). We’ve got some graphs below.
May 13, 2008 by admin
America’s first cement ocean-going vessel "Faith" was built in a Redwood City shipyard and launched from the port there in 1918. It never saw military action as the Armistice was signed a few months later (Redwood City Public Library). (Coincidentally, we are thinking of holding our fall conference in Redwood City, and perhaps locating our offices there as well).
May 5, 2008 by admin
Not a lot of external progress to report this week, as we were focused on our first Board meeting and 2008 strategy. Now that we’ve done that, expect to see some detailed volunteer project specs and job requisitions coming up. I’m headed to the OTC tonight, and may blog from there.
Happy Cinco De Mayo!