1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar




We need some more girls in here!

Home Forums Community General Chat We need some more girls in here!

This topic contains 54 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of greyraven_r greyraven_r 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #8208
    Profile photo of Dil
    Dil
    Participant

    I think there are less female seasteaders because there are less female anarchists or libertarians (at least in the continent of North America). Greece on the other hand, I think the ratio of male anarchists to female anarchists is probably more even.

    I have no idea why there are less female anarchists in North America.

    I know a few, maybe I can convince them to come to the seastead.

    Personally, I would not want to go to a seastead unless I had employment there that’s related to my career.

    Revolution starts in the mind.

    #8249
    Profile photo of xns
    xns
    Participant

    Why’d this thread go quiet when a woman posted? Erm.. Dil, you’re a woman right?

    King Shannon of the Constitutional Monarchy of Logos.

    #8250
    Profile photo of Eelco
    Eelco
    Participant

    Dil wrote:

    I think there are less female seasteaders because there are less female anarchists or libertarians (at least in the continent of North America). Greece on the other hand, I think the ratio of male anarchists to female anarchists is probably more even.

    I have no idea why there are less female anarchists in North America.

    I know a few, maybe I can convince them to come to the seastead.

    Personally, I would not want to go to a seastead unless I had employment there that’s related to my career.

    Revolution starts in the mind.

    What do you base your opinion about greece on?

    Personally, id say america (as in USA) is the country with the most anarchist leanings ive ever visited. Here I actually know anarchist women, whereas in europe, they are more mythical creatures; and the ratio at the conference and especially ephemerisle wasnt bad at all.

    Would you say finding employment is a bigger issue for women than for men? Either way, the pan is to start out in a bay; not just to easy the engineering difficulty, but also to easy the socio-economic transition.

    #8251
    Profile photo of thief
    thief
    Participant

    Why are we talking about Anarchy? We’re Libertarians, not Anarchists (not all of us anyway).

    - Nick

    #8253
    Profile photo of bencoder
    bencoder
    Participant

    In my mind they’re the same thing, Thief.

    Unfortunately Left-Anarchists (in lieue of a better word for the anti-capitalism anarchists) dont like us to call our brand of anarchism with the word “anarchism”.

    #8254
    Profile photo of thief
    thief
    Participant

    Bencoder, if you can’t tell the difference between Libertarianism and Anarchism, that’s your mistake, not ours. I assure you they’re very different.

    - Nick

    #8255
    Profile photo of bencoder
    bencoder
    Participant

    thief wrote:

    Bencoder, if you can’t tell the difference between Libertarianism and Anarchism, that’s your mistake, not ours. I assure you they’re very different.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism#Propertarian_libertarianism

    obviously it depends on what form of libertarianism you are meaning, and what form of anarchism you mean, because these terms are hardly set in stone. But when I use them I essentially mean some form of anarcho-capitalism.

    So please tell me, what is libertarianism and anarchism, in your view?

    #8260
    Profile photo of thief
    thief
    Participant

    All Anarchism is Libertarianism, but not all Libertarianism is Anarchism. Anarchy means no government and no laws. At all. Period.

    Libertarianism is the pursuit of freedom via a number of means. Most of which still require some kind of government.

    The article you linked shows Anarchy alongside various other forms of Libertarianism, which is evidence on your own terms that there are other forms of libertarianism. In fact there are probably thousands of systems, depending on how specific you want to be.

    However Anarchy is just one system, which is to say, complete lack of a system. Meaning it’s only one of potentially thousands of forms of Libertarianism.

    Any arguments that aren’t based on personal opinion, complete lack of study or complete lack of comprehension?

    - Nick

    #8262
    Profile photo of bencoder
    bencoder
    Participant

    I pretty much agree with that. And I don’t think I was arguing. The original post I replied to was

    Why are we talking about Anarchy? We’re Libertarians, not Anarchists (not all of us anyway).

    Which doesn’t make sense given your assertion in your most recent post:

    All Anarchism is Libertarianism,

    Or are we not allowed to talk about one form of libertarianism because the great King Nick says it’s so. We must talk about libertarianism in general(never mind that this topic was original about girls).

    I have no idea why you felt the need to attack me based on my statement that, to me, anarchy and libertarianism is the same. Ok, perhaps its not the best wording, but I don’t think it deserved quite the hatred that it seemed to get from you. Did you think I was attacking you?

    #8275
    Profile photo of Dil
    Dil
    Participant

    Eelco wrote:

    Dil wrote:

    I think there are less female seasteaders because there are less female anarchists or libertarians (at least in the continent of North America). Greece on the other hand, I think the ratio of male anarchists to female anarchists is probably more even.

    I have no idea why there are less female anarchists in North America.

    I know a few, maybe I can convince them to come to the seastead.

    Personally, I would not want to go to a seastead unless I had employment there that’s related to my career.

    Revolution starts in the mind.

    What do you base your opinion about greece on?

    Personally, id say america (as in USA) is the country with the most anarchist leanings ive ever visited. Here I actually know anarchist women, whereas in europe, they are more mythical creatures; and the ratio at the conference and especially ephemerisle wasnt bad at all.

    Would you say finding employment is a bigger issue for women than for men? Either way, the pan is to start out in a bay; not just to easy the engineering difficulty, but also to easy the socio-economic transition.

    [/quote]

    Have you followed the greek riots?

    Anyways, I’ve looked at some photos, and I see many women in the protests in greece. I’ve met anarchist females, but it’s usually at a ratio of 1:20. Also, I’ve heard libertarian men complaining about lack of women often (american men). I may have confirmation bias, but I haven’t met anyone who thinks otherwise.

    Also, I’m completely confused and slightly offended that you would think that I said “finding employment is a bigger issue for women than for men.”

    I said nothing of the sort.

    “Personally, I would not want to go to a seastead unless I had employment there that’s related to my career.” – me

    -Revolution starts in the mind.

    #8276
    Profile photo of Dil
    Dil
    Participant

    thief wrote:

    Why are we talking about Anarchy? We’re Libertarians, not Anarchists (not all of us anyway).

    - Nick

    In my original post, I say ‘anarchist and libertarian’, so I distinguish between the two. Having said that, I’m pretty sure anarchists have a large incentive to want to become sea steaders more than other groups who, for example, believe in reform (or working within the system). I think the ratio of anarchists who would want to be seasteaders is quite high. Libertarianism is not the same, but I have noticed that there seems to be less libertarian women also, and libertarians may love the idea of freedom enough to do something wild like move onto the ocean.

    So to rephrase what I had previously said. I think a large chunk of seasteaders would comprise of libertarian or anarchist types. And looking at the demographics of those two groups, they seem to lack women. I haven’t invested much intellectual effort into finding out if this is the case, I could very well be wrong, but this is my impression.

    -Revolution starts in the mind.

    #8283
    Profile photo of bencoder
    bencoder
    Participant

    Understood and forgiven. And I’m sorry for being wrong :) Hope to use your services some day in the future.

    I’m currently working and saving and eventually plan to buy a live-aboardable yacht. I think i’ve lost my optimism for seasteading. The only hope I can see of it in the near future is on large converted container ships and the like. I don’t think the lovely mega structures we dream of at the moment will become a reality as there is so little clear return on investors for the (large) investment that would be required. Now that is completely off topic.

    On the subject of how to get girls to join in on a seastead – there are lots of girls in eco & green groups. Perhaps if we can promote seasteading as a more sustainable and environmentally friendly way of life, we can bring some members of that (large and active) group towards us.

    #8277
    Profile photo of thief
    thief
    Participant

    Ben, I used to be an Anarchist, now I’m just a Libertarian. I feel I’ve grown out of Anarchy, having researched it and found out why it wouldn’t work. So I didn’t like being caled an Anarchist. I also don’t like to be covered by the negative stigma of Anarchy, and I felt the need to correct you for what I saw as a pretty huge and ignorant mistake. So, yes, I did come across as very agressive, but because I was countering so many problems at once. So I’m sorry.

    Anyway, yeah, back on topic.

    - The Great King Nick

    #8284
    Profile photo of thief
    thief
    Participant

    I think container ships, old oil rigs and the like are where we should start. Our untopian megastructures will come once we’re established on the ocean.

    Eco-friendly advertising seems like a good plan. Even if I personally don’t give a crap about the environment. :P

    - Nick

    #8293
    Profile photo of SailorTrash
    SailorTrash
    Participant

    bencoder wrote:

    I’m currently working and saving and eventually plan to buy a live-aboardable yacht.

    I keep telling people it’s very doable if you’re willing to “live small.” Our boat is a whalloping 33 feet long, and it’s very comfortable for the two of us.

    http://seagypsies-mikeandkatie.blogspot.com/

    Taking our cue from the Eskimos, we boat people have over 30 words for “leak.”

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.



Posted on at

Categories:

Written by

Blog/Newsletter

Donate