1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar




How much would you pay to stay on a seastead?

Home Forums Research Business How much would you pay to stay on a seastead?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of elspru elspru 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1736
    Avatar of Elwar
    Elwar
    Participant

    So, let us say that one of us finally gets around to building a seastead. It is 12nm out from shore and has basic living accomidations similar to a small cabin.

    How much would you pay to go stay there? Either by the day/weekend/week/month or year.

    Just the mere experience of it all could bring some people who are curious about what it would be like.

    #16835
    Avatar of Chucker
    Chucker
    Participant

    500 for a week if transportation was included from shore. But I would want to have to work or something. Not like a cruise ship were I was catered to. Maybe work the fish farm, hydroponics, or the general engineering stuff.

    A month is to long. My wife might not miss me and replace me. :-)

    #16842
    Avatar of wohl1917
    wohl1917
    Participant

    you have to get the wife ‘on board’ so to speak or you’re right: she will ‘replace’ you! Women are ‘funny’ that way…

    < http://ocr.wikia.com/wiki/Oceanic_Citizens_Republic_Wiki>

    Avatar of elspru
    elspru
    Participant

    If there is an insufficient amount of rocking from waves I would be unsatisfied,

    when I was a pirate, I loved getting drunk and walking on the swaying deck, it was fun.

    In retrospect it seems like that was a bad idea, but then again, so was being a pirate in some ways.

    Ummm, how much would I pay? ummm, I only like to pay for things that become mine.

    Either for unique skills or product acquisition, that can’t otherwise be attained.

    Ya well I understand a landshare option, or boatshare option, I could deal with that.

    For a concrete seastead landshare mortgage, in co-operative boatshare,

    I could do a $1000 down and $40-80 monthly, though that would only work in Ontario,

    If I was outside ontario, I’d have to earn money while on the seastead, so it would be a percentage of income.

    We with You are a Network, our goal to become technologically-enabled reproducible family communities. http://weyounet.info

    #16859
    Avatar of OCEANOPOLIS
    OCEANOPOLIS
    Participant

    You’ll never stay on a seastead (already built by somebody else) for $100/night.

    Unless,..And the only way you will get somehow close to that rate is if you buy in pre-construction for a 2 weeks time share. $1500 down and $100/ mo x 26 people for 6 month to 1 year construction time. Will start rolling the timeshares upon completion, on $40/mo SOE (seastead owner association) fee, with the option to rent out your timeshare(s) on the open market (you will easily get $400/night in high season and $350/night in low season – I am talking Florida Key’s rates). That will give you a nice 40′ LOA houseboat with all modern amenities, docked on an artificial floating island paradise, 1/4 nm from land, with all the toys (1 small cabin cruiser for tender, 2 jetskis, 1 small sailboat)

    Which ain’t bad at all since you can rent half of your high season timeshare for $2800 and use the other one for free + profit.

    It will look like this: http://photobucket.com/man_made_key

    #16865
    Avatar of Elwar
    Elwar
    Participant

    Chucker wrote:
    500 for a week if transportation was included from shore. But I would want to have to work or something. Not like a cruise ship were I was catered to. Maybe work the fish farm, hydroponics, or the general engineering stuff. A month is to long. My wife might not miss me and replace me. :-)

    This is more of what I was thinking. I was adressing seastead enthusiasts, not the general public that would be expecting a luxury vacation.

    I was thinking something along the lines of a tour of the facility and all of the stuff on the seastead that keeps it going. Concepts behind its current state and long term goals. Showing how it gets electricity and how that works as well as anything toward sustainability.

    Like that guy in Mexico that created his own island. He could show you around the place, talk about how he made it and his plans as well as the plants he has growing and such.

    For a small one, I think a weekend may be good for such a visit.

    #16870
    Avatar of OCEANOPOLIS
    OCEANOPOLIS
    Participant

    and if the seastead is in range of a ferryboat ride I think the best idea would be to just open it to the public. People will pay for the ferrybouat ride or the private helicopter VIP ride, come aboard and explore. If they want to stay, provide accomodations for any size wallet, from $25/night for a bunk in a hostel to $3000/night-1200 sq.ft penthouse.

    But I guess it doesn’t really matter since we don’t have a seastead yet.

    #16873
    Avatar of Elwar
    Elwar
    Participant

    This would be akin to the Wright brothers asking fellow flying enthusiasts how much they would pay for a 300 foot flight on their first airplane.

    The general public would be like WTF? Why would I put myself on such an untested contraption with the possibility of falling off or the danged thing breaking apart in middle of the air. Or…if man was meant to fly, he would have wings…

    So no, I do not believe the first seastead will be general public ready with fine silver and a chef.

    It will be more like “how did you make it through the night, did anything break? Did the waves get bad?”

    #16876
    Avatar of i_is_j_smith
    i_is_j_smith
    Participant

    As others have said, it’s silly talking about a fee without any of the important details. But let me put a spin on the question:

    Would you be willing to work 8-hour shifts to be able to live on a city-sized seastead? Rather than have to pay rent, or taxes, you instead need to contribute in some meaningful way to the survival / maintainence of the seastead.

    Every seastead will need people to monitor the energy systems, maintain the communication and network links, work the aquaculture tanks, check the aeroponics labs, cultivate the gardens, patch cement, patrol the waters, act as police, and a dozen other things that need doin’ on a seastead. Rather than force people to pay money to live on the seastead, offer them an opportunity to work for their board. I’m sure there are many more people out there who don’t have funds to buy their way onto a seastead, but would be more than willing to put in 8-hours-a-day in the sunshine planting gardens or collecting/cleaning fish.

    Thoughts?

    #16878
    Avatar of Elwar
    Elwar
    Participant

    i_is_j_smith wrote:

    As others have said, it’s silly talking about a fee without any of the important details. But let me put a spin on the question:

    Would you be willing to work 8-hour shifts to be able to live on a city-sized seastead? Rather than have to pay rent, or taxes, you instead need to contribute in some meaningful way to the survival / maintainence of the seastead.

    Every seastead will need people to monitor the energy systems, maintain the communication and network links, work the aquaculture tanks, check the aeroponics labs, cultivate the gardens, patch cement, patrol the waters, act as police, and a dozen other things that need doin’ on a seastead. Rather than force people to pay money to live on the seastead, offer them an opportunity to work for their board. I’m sure there are many more people out there who don’t have funds to buy their way onto a seastead, but would be more than willing to put in 8-hours-a-day in the sunshine planting gardens or collecting/cleaning fish.

    Thoughts?

    Sounds like a commune to me.

    I would certainly be willing to pay someone for the level of effort and use that they provide and then offer a suitable living space in exchange for a fair price.

    But to have everyone paid the same for varying levels and difficulty of work is a non-starter.

    #16879
    Avatar of i_is_j_smith
    i_is_j_smith
    Participant

    Elwar wrote:
    Sounds like a commune to me.

    Sure, I guess that’s one way to describe it.

    Elwar wrote:
    I would certainly be willing to pay someone for the level of effort and use that they provide and then offer a suitable living space in exchange for a fair price.

    That is certainly an option. If you have a method for generating your own funds, or are wealthy, you can opt to pay to live on the seastead (rent, taxes, etc) and pay for the goods you require. I’m merely offering a chance to people who might not have the funds but would be willing to work for their “passage”.

    Elwar wrote:
    But to have everyone paid the same for varying levels and difficulty of work is a non-starter.

    Why?

    #16880

    The first comment i have thought about was: The cost of habitation in a imaginary seastead that does not exist is more or less equivalent to the cost of habitation in a klingon kelgh in the px46 galaxy…that does not exist either…

    But thinking it in depth we can give quite a good global answer to this.

    A day of habitation on a seastead that is built “like a cruisship” will cost what a day of habitation on a cruiseship costs.

    A day of habitation on a refurbished or dedicated oil rig like structure will cost a similar sum as the cost of housing per day per worker that oil companies handle.

    A day of habitation on a shipshaped seastead built to yacht criteria and luxury will cost what a day on a yacht is costing today.

    It is obvious that there is no place for a housing market and no homesteading for the masses in any of those building techniques and cost frames.

    So what we can say for sure is that a seastead at normal housing prices will only be feasible with concrete honeycomb and concrete shell structures in general as this is the same building technique that is providing affordable housing space on land already.

    We call such affordable concrete structures for housing purpose buildings.

    Wil

    concretesubmarine.com

    #16881
    Avatar of elspru
    elspru
    Participant

    i_is_j_smith wrote:

    Elwar wrote:

    But to have everyone paid the same for varying levels and difficulty of work is a non-starter.

    Why?

    [/quote]

    Because that leads to brain-drain and weight-gain.

    The active members that do lots of work get bought out by people willing to pay them their due.

    And the slackers and low-end labourers stick around to get paid more than they are worth.

    We with You are a Network, our goal to become technologically-enabled reproducible family communities. http://weyounet.info

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.



Posted on at

Categories:

Written by

Blog/Newsletter

Donate