1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

99 year lease

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of wohl1917 wohl1917 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Katzpaw
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve seen a large number of very interesting ideas concerning base steads and islands. Instead of trying to purchase an Island or land in a countries mainland, how about a 99 year lease on an island? It worked for GB and Hong Kong, would it not work for us?Admittedly, the owning nation might come into play, but realisticly, I think the bigger problem would be environmentalist. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Katz

Thorizan
    Participant

That may work for ONE community, but the big push for seasteading comes from the idea of “dynamic geography”, so that if you don’t like the government in which you live, you can easily pack up everything you have and move to another one.

Living on land makes this difficult, as would leasing said land from a repressive state.

thief
    Participant

I like the idea. It could be the perfect place to start. We could use it as an outpost and a massive shipyard.

- Nick

JLMadrigal
    Participant

I’ve touched on this issue several years back, along with other FreeZone financing options in my FreeNation Update:

http://www.geocities.com/johnfkosanke/freenationupdate4.htm

Carl-Pålsson
    Participant

Do nations actually lease out land these days? The Hong Kong lease was signed more than a hundred years ago. Anyone know any leases signed since then?

Even if you found a government willing to do it, I’m sure it would be extremely expensive. Governments hate competition.

NiccoloA
    Participant

I was under the impression that Hong Kong was ceded to GB after the opium wars indefinitely and only in the First Peking Conventions were the British further granted occupation rights for 99 years.

That was a very inequitable transfer, however, and without the British Empire’s superior forces, I don’t think it would have gone through. I don’t know how feasible it is to get a base-stead leased from a government voluntarily.

Katzpaw
    Participant

I have been looking for a more recent example and can’t find one. I did come across the Pitcairn Islands deal that flooped in the 80′s do to environmentalist intervention, and I agree with them on there point. The gentlemen in question wanted to clear cut one of the islands for cattle ranching. IMO Although I believe that you need to break a few eggs to bake a cake, this just didn’t come across as a good idea in me.

As Oceanpolis had mentioned the idea of Clipperton island as a seabase, I was intrigued by the idea since it is for sale. http://www.privateislandsonline.com/clipperton-atoll.htm and France once studied the idea of making it a fishing base by opening the atoll to the sea and installing a runway. For reasons unknown at this time, they decided not to go through with it. Interesting, since that area of the Pacific is one of it’s excellent tuna fishing areas. Since France doesn’t make a money off it anyway, a fair and equitable lease offer, with promises of enhancement of the island’s features might work. But with the beginning of Nautilus Explorer offering diving trips there in spring of 2010, environmetalists may try block any bid to open the inner waters of the atoll up to the sea…even though it is dead water IMO(aka, no fish or plant life besides algae)

Cheers, Katz

OCEANOPOLIS
    Participant

Ty Katz for bring it up. Clipp needs a lot of ,..”terra forming” but I like the location. I wonder how much they’re asking,…

OCEANOPOLIS
    Participant

Is not the same Clipperton I was writing about,…Look @ the photos…. There is no vegetation on Clipperton (the one off the Mexican coast) but few palm trees. Wrong Clipp lol.

Katzpaw
    Participant

OCEANOPOLIS wrote:

Is not the same Clipperton I was writing about,…Look @ the photos…. There is no vegetation on Clipperton (the one off the Mexican coast) but few palm trees. Wrong Clipp lol.

I noticed that, but couldn’t find anything about another Clipperton Island or Atoll. The photo’s appear to be the same size and shape of the one off the Mexican coast. My thought is it was the same atoll with touched up photo’s from an early expedition. lol

And I’m curious about the price myself. Lets face it, when the oceans rise, that island better rise with it or it’s going under….I wonder if that means it’s still French territory once submerged?

OCEANOPOLIS
    Participant

And the map is wrong. The only atoll also called Clipperton is in French Polynesia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahunui. The map, here http://www.traveljournals.net/explore/french_polynesia/map/m1894816/ahunui.html doesnt look like the one on islandsonline,….Well, if its submerge its gone, baby,…gone.;-)

wohl1917
    Participant

IS Ahunui, see Google Earth. The confusion I think is that Clipperton is ‘governed’ from Papeete, French Polynesia which is almost 3400miles away…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted on at

Categories:

Written by

Blog/Newsletter

Donate