1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

$10,000 Seastead

Home Forums Archive Structure Designs $10,000 Seastead

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of shredder7753 shredder7753 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tusavision
    tusavision
    Participant

171360 cubic feet of air needed.

189.639 = cubic feet of air per AL80 scuba tank.

904 AL80 Scuba tanks full of liquid n2o = 28 days underwater.

Expired AL80 scuba tanks are essentially free, and pose no danger to the seastead in the event of rupture if used as a counter weight for stabilizing the platform <100 feet away from the platform.

However we will continue to cut costs for the sake of argument.

Supposing the highest temperature and pressure that we expect to face, we are looking at 1278 psi of containment. This means 2869 feet of depth.

At $2.25/ft hydraulic hose, that is $6455.25

Not prohibitively expensive but lets cut costs even further.

304 SS pipe rated at 2000 psi = $2.1/ft

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/stainless-steel-tubing/pipe-and-tubing/plumbing/ecatalog/N-aaeZ1z0hrou

tusavision
    Participant

tusavision wrote:

Energy produced per AL80 of N2O converted to air:

82kJ/Mol

158*82=12956kJ

3598.8 watt hours BTW

tusavision
    Participant

Original Challenge Specs:

Where: Florida Keys, no closer than 200 miles to any land.

What: 200 square foot platform capable of keeping 2 dogs alive for 2 months at sea

Utilities:

-5 gallons/day water desalination OR

-100 gallon fresh water storage capacity

-1000watt/hours energy production

Storage:

-200 gallons of diesel/equivalent energy

-3 months of food (tuna fish would be a good place to start)

Notes:

Combined Materials & Labor cost should not exceed $100,000 (value of labor is assumed to be federal minimum wage.)

tusavision
    Participant

tusavision wrote:

Now that we know we want 158 mol of n2o, we can calculate the weight, volume, and price of the NH4NO3 precursor.

NH4NO3(s) —–>N2O(g) +2H2O(L)

158(NH4NO3)= 12646.85 grams of NH4NO3

12.647 kg of NH4NO3 = 1 AL80 of N2O + 316(18.0153 g water)

water production of 12.647 kg of NH4NO3 = 5.69kg h2o

27.882 lbs in 12.647 kg

71 AL80s of NH4NO3 per ton

904 AL80s needed = 13 tons NH4NO3

Price of Ammonium Nitrate $934.12/ton (reference source #8)

~$13,000

Dead end.

tusavision
    Participant

Fortunately, 28 days was an arbitrary number I pulled out of my ass for shits and giggles. Design specs were 2 dogs for 60 days, not 2 humans on treadmills underwater for 28.

Conclusion:

>48hour SHTF contingencies in progress. Likely solution: since air volume increases as a cube, and ETFE/Concrete costs increase as a square, increasing dome diameter or adding additional domes is likely the most cost effective means of achieving 48 hours of air supply. Both from a simplicity standpoint, and from a real estate value ROI standpoint.

New design specs:

48 hours air supply+lifeboat/vest/bombproof SNUBA snorkel escape pod.

Profile photo of shredder7753
    shredder7753
    Participant

i dont want to see you fail Jimmi. for your sake and for everybodies. im just concerned that the more horror stories we give to fox news for ammo, the harder it will be for real seasteading to get established. the russians rushed in and produced Leika (which their scientists still regret). we carefully developed uncompromising models and came up with the Apollo Program.

tusavision
    Participant

shredder7753 wrote:

i dont want to see you fail Jimmi. for your sake and for everybodies. im just concerned that the more horror stories we give to fox news for ammo, the harder it will be for real seasteading to get established. the russians rushed in and produced Leika (which their scientists still regret). we carefully developed uncompromising models and came up with the Apollo Program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_2

Perfect name. Thanks.

shredder7753
    Participant

tusavision wrote:

shredder7753 wrote:

Perfect name. Thanks.

[/quote]

She DIED long before her planned incineration. They got away with that in the 1960’s. You’ll never hear the end of it if you do that now. Or, if you try to keep it a secret you just wont get credit for the accomplishment.

tusavision
    Participant

shredder7753 wrote:

tusavision wrote:

shredder7753 wrote:

Perfect name. Thanks.

[/quote]

She DIED long before her planned incineration. They got away with that in the 1960’s. You’ll never hear the end of it if you do that now. Or, if you try to keep it a secret you just wont get credit for the accomplishment.

[/quote]

Not an issue as long as the dogs survive.

Profile photo of elspru
    elspru
    Participant

Hey Tusavision just wanted to mention there is a $5,000 boat for a family design, and a less than $300 dinghy in Golden Phi Design thread,

http://seasteading.org/interact/forums/engineering/structure-designs/phi-golden-ratio-boat-designs

hey Shredder so you like making models of things,

perhaps you’d also like to make physical models,

could work you way up, and build one for family.

calm aware desire choice love express intuit move

shredder7753
    Participant

elspru wrote:

Hey Tusavision just wanted to mention there is a $5,000 boat for a family design, and a less than $300 dinghy in Golden Phi Design thread,

http://seasteading.org/interact/forums/engineering/structure-designs/phi-golden-ratio-boat-designs

i built one of those gas powered r/c cars before. spent about $1500 on it. i got a few months usage out of it before i hit some sand flying around a corner and wrecked it into a curb. could’ve had just as much fun playing racing games on a PS3. physical stuff is just too expensive, which is why i have a condo and not a house. i keep building models because it only costs me the time i spend – which is already HUGE (plus $500 for parts to build my crappy workstation). if i ever develop a plan that could make some money than im gonna seek investment capitol. if i dont find any investors than theres probably a reason, such as my plan is missing something or a more competetive design already exists. i just want to be a leader and fulfill my duty to my maker. i dont feel like im shining light on anything new if i build physical stuff and nobody thinks it adds value to the existing noosphere. i also dont think it is likely that i would theorize something that is sooo progressive it needs a physical model just to prove. but if i did, than usually it is best to get a university or research institution to back it, because then you can get published.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noosphere

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

a wise man (ass) once said “’tis better to get screamed at by like 5-6 people on the internet than find you made a crucial error when peoples lives and nesteggs are at stake.”

Profile photo of elspru
    elspru
    Participant

shredder7753 wrote:

elspru wrote:

i built one of those gas powered r/c cars before. spent about $1500 on it. i got a few months usage out of it before i hit some sand flying around a corner and wrecked it into a curb.

[/quote]

Woah man, :-|, it’s so sad, how you spend so much money, on such trivial things.

You know you can build an autonomous robot for $50?

http://societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot.shtml

If you want to make it into RC, you’d need a remote-control and receiver,

but minus the electronics, so it could be about the same.

could’ve had just as much fun playing racing games on a PS3. physical stuff is just too expensive,

if your purpose is merely to “test” or break it in an elaborate fashion then yes.

However you if you actually intend on using something and getting some benefit,

then that’s a whole other story.

For instance from making the $50 robot I’m learning valuable soldering skills,

and how to make printed-circuit boards, connect the pieces and all that.

which is why i have a condo and not a house.

You could save a lot of money long-term by having a boat.

Likely can get a substead for as much as you spend in one year of condo fees/mortgage.

i keep building models because it only costs me the time i spend – which is already HUGE (plus $500 for parts to build my crappy workstation). if i ever develop a plan that could make some money than im gonna seek investment capitol. if i dont find any investors than theres probably a reason, such as my plan is missing something or a more competetive design already exists.

Investors are a pretty dreadful thing,

you should really look these things up before wishing for them.

having an venture-capitalist investor is like having a slave-master.

i just want to be a leader and fulfill my duty to my maker.

you mean your mother? What are her aims for you?

What about your own decisisons.. seriously :-|

i dont feel like im shining light on anything new if i build physical stuff and nobody thinks it adds value to the existing noosphere.

Visionary companies operate by improving themselves rather than waiting for external motivation.

i also dont think it is likely that i would theorize something that is sooo progressive it needs a physical model just to prove.

In order for anything to be proved there must be a physical model.

but if i did, than usually it is best to get a university or research institution to back it, because then you can get published.

So you really want to be accepted into the Scientific Priesthood?

It’s likely almost no one will ever here of the fruits of your labour,

since most published scientific stuff is locked away in secret journals.

Typically they are far to expensive and convoluted for commoners to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noosphere

Yes, well my main contributions are in the realm of Galactic History, Seasteading and Artifical General Intelligence (human-speakable-progamming-language.

I’m basically done with my Galactic History contributions for now,

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread457249/pg1

general populace isn’t ready for a Human Speakable Progamming Language,

whenever I tell people about it, there is fierce resistance.

so my main focus is Seasteading,

I’m 23 that’s 0x17 so main focus of the year is traveling/movement.

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

they are just attemping to find patterns in admitedly random numbers.

There are much more practical ways of applying randomness to your life.

such as doing a coin-flip on trivial decisions,

or being away of synchronous or “coincidental” events,

noting what meaning they could have for you,

and how you could improve for future.

a wise man (ass) once said “’tis better to get screamed at by like 5-6 people on the internet than find you made a crucial error when peoples lives and nesteggs are at stake.”

Well yes, I have learned a lot about how to properly communicate with other people on the internet.

Indeed I got banned from many a forum, before I figured it out sufficiently to be acceptable.

Also I’ve learned a lot from my female-partner and pets about appropriate social interaction.

The seasteading community here is of course also a valuable resource,

and have much to teach/learn with us giving insights of their own attempts.

Anyhow in terms of the $5000 boat-design,

seems like it’s generally accepted,

no one has any complaints.

of course I’ll have to refine it some more,

but we’ve got the general idea already.

shredder7753
    Participant

aye-aye capitan

Profile photo of Pastor_Jason
    Pastor_Jason
    Participant

Elspru… I can’t believe you’d hold out on us…

Not for this thread obviously, but I can’t say I’m not curious.

As for the 10k seastead idea… I get what the purpose of this is. It’s an experiment… a proof of concept. You might want to have a larger design in mind for people as the eventual goal. Do that first, then scale it down to these levels and build it. That’ll prove the concept works. Otherwise you’re just proving dogs can float.

Live Well!

-Jason

tusavision
    Participant

Pastor_Jason wrote:

Elspru… I can’t believe you’d hold out on us…

Not for this thread obviously, but I can’t say I’m not curious.

As for the 10k seastead idea… I get what the purpose of this is. It’s an experiment… a proof of concept. You might want to have a larger design in mind for people as the eventual goal. Do that first, then scale it down to these levels and build it. That’ll prove the concept works. Otherwise you’re just proving dogs can float.

Live Well!

-Jason

[/quote]

The dogs are simply a NASA/Russia classic test rat to simulate human air consumption. I’m doing air consumption rates based on 2 humans on treadmills which never sleep or stop running. Dog-scale is human scale.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Structure Designs’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Posted on at

Categories:

Written by

Blog/Newsletter

Donate