1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar




$10,000 Seastead

Home Forums Archive Structure Designs $10,000 Seastead

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of shredder7753 shredder7753 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1450
    Avatar of tusavision
    tusavision
    Participant

    shredder7753 wrote:

    tusavision wrote:

    shredder7753 wrote:

    man i really didnt want to engage u anymore but… ur so full of it. you cant even do one thing for $10K. i will worship the water you ‘stead on if you can explain how to get ur lil doggies to stay put in the same place for 2 months. DP and mooring cant be done for 10k.

    So is what you’re saying is: you concede that you can’t do it for $100,000 dollars and you accept my challenge?

    [/quote]

    absolutely. bring it.

    [/quote]

    1)Structure

    Concrete Platform

    200^2 ft =3.14r^2 -> circle with <9' radius.

    <9' radius circle 1' deep= 200 cubic ft of concrete

    unit conversion: 1yard^3=27ft^3

    200/27-> 7.4 cubic yards of concrete.

    Concrete Pricing: (reference source #1)

    Price of concrete: $75/cubic yard

    Price of Subbase: $12/cubic yard

    Price of Forms: $1.50/sq. ft = $300

    Price of Reinforcement: $.1/sq. ft = $20

    7.4*75=$555

    Conclusion:

    1′X9′(radius) concrete platform

    Price of materials ->$663

    Price of Labor -> $300

    Total: $963

    ETFE Bubble Dome:

    Surface area of a 9′ radius sphere=4*3.14*9^2= 1020sq./ft

    Surface area of a 9′ radius hemisphere = 1/2*1020=510sq./ft

    Theoretical ETFE sheet pricing: $.05sq./ft (reference source #2)

    510*.05=$26 (no scrap price)

    Conclusion:

    510sq/ft ETFE plastic sheet=$26


    Conservative Figure ETFE Bubble Dome:

    ETFE Sheet Pricing(reference source #3)

    12′x12′=$471.65

    12×12=144sq./ft

    510/144=4

    4*471.65=$1900

    Conclusion:

    510sq/ft ETFE plastic sheet=$1900

    2) Equipment

    Life Support

    Scuba Compressor: $3,154.95 (reference source #4)note: I wouldn’t actually spend this much but for argument sake I’ll pretend I’m this bad at cutting costs.

    Volume of seastead = 4/3*3.14*9^3 = 3060 cubic feet

    Human consumption of air=60 liters/minute (reference source #5)

    Unit Conversion1 liter= .0354ft cubic feet

    60*.0354 = 2.12 cubic feet / minute

    3060/2=1530 cubic feet per dog

    1530/2.12=720 minutes of breathable air per dog

    720/60=12 hours breathable air per dog.

    The longest lasting hurricane on record lasted 28 days.(reference source #6)

    That translates to 56 times our seastead’s capacity. Any sane person would at this point do something simple like:

    -move their seastead to a location less hurricane prone

    -rate the seastead as a storm shelter to a limited time span.

    [text editor is bugging out continuing in next post]

    reference sources

    #1 http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete-prices.html

    #2 http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/08/geodesic-domes-and-efte-pricing.html

    #3 http://www.professionalplastics.com/TEFZEL-ETFESHEETSRODS

    #4 http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-155/030405/Max-Air-Max-Air-35-Standard-Scuba-Compressor.html

    #5 http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/resnotes/notes/94-11.htm

    #6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_tropical_cyclone

    #12545
    Avatar of tusavision
    tusavision
    Participant

    continued from last post:

    That would make sense, but I’m so awesome I don’t have to play by the rules of sane people.

    Every 10 meters of depth in water adds 1 atmosphere to ambient pressure. By using high pressure hose and a SCUBA regulator, I can store air at a pressure of 3000 PSI above ambient. pnuematic hose and a SCUBA regulator, I can store air at 200 PSI above ambient pressure.

    We need to fit 56 units of gas in X units volume. Given a value of 56*3060(2 dogs worth) we have to store 171360 cubic feet of gas.

    If we had higher pressure equipment, we could store this gas at any depth, but because we are artificially limiting ourselves to off the shelf SCUBA/welding gear: 3000 psi pressure differential it is. 200 psi pressure differential it is.

    200psi =14 ATM or 140 meters worth of pressure differential

    (Original volume / # of ATM) gives us change in volume.

    171360/14= 12240 cubic feet

    So, at 140 meters pressure differential we need a 12240 cubic foot capacity bagpipe in order to store 28 days worth of air.

    As we remember from our earlier post, volume of a sphere is equal to “4/3*3.14*x^3 = 700 cubic feet ” or X^3=167.2

    167.2^-3=5.6 feet radius sphere

    Hefty trash bag= 30 gallons

    1 gallon = .134 cubic feet

    30*.134= 4. cubic feet.

    700/4=176* 30 gallon bags

    Hefty 30 gallon bags=$12/40 count(reference #7)

    176/40=4.4

    4.4*12=$53

    Conclusion:

    28 days worth of trashbags: $60

    Continued in next post…

    Reference sources

    #7 http://www.amazon.com/Hefty-E2-7744-Count-Gallon-Trash/dp/B00467EDBA

    #12546
    Avatar of tusavision
    tusavision
    Participant

    330 ft=10atm

    171360/10=17136 cubic ft of air

    17136/4=4284 trash bags

    4284/40=108 boxes of trash bags

    $1285.2 spent on 4290 trash bags full of air.

    330ft of 200 psi airhose

    350/50ft=7 airhoses

    $20/50 ft of air hose

    $140 on air hose.

    Total money spent on 28 day air storage/snorkel system $1330

    #12547
    Avatar of tusavision
    tusavision
    Participant

    tusavision wrote:

    330 ft=10atm

    171360/10=17136 cubic ft of air

    17136/4=4284 trash bags

    4284/40=108 boxes of trash bags

    $1285.2 spent on 4290 trash bags full of air.

    330ft of 200 psi airhose

    350/50ft=7 airhoses

    $20/50 ft of air hose

    $140 on air hose.

    Total money spent on 28 day air storage/snorkel system $1330

    I’ll finish it tomorrow. I still have to design the solar/wind/water/wave water systems, and design a diesel fuel tank. Once I have a bill of materials I’ll write the Operational Procedures the ship will follow to keep the dogs alive for 2 months.

    #12549
    Avatar of shredder7753
    shredder7753
    Participant

    interesting, so far. holding further comments.

    #12551
    Avatar of elspru
    elspru
    Participant

    tusavision wrote:

    tusavision wrote:

    330 ft=10atm

    171360/10=17136 cubic ft of air

    17136/4=4284 trash bags

    4284/40=108 boxes of trash bags

    $1285.2 spent on 4290 trash bags full of air.

    330ft of 200 psi airhose

    350/50ft=7 airhoses

    $20/50 ft of air hose

    $140 on air hose.

    Total money spent on 28 day air storage/snorkel system $1330

    I’ll finish it tomorrow. I still have to design the solar/wind/water/wave water systems, and design a diesel fuel tank. Once I have a bill of materials I’ll write the Operational Procedures the ship will follow to keep the dogs alive for 2 months.

    [/quote]

    Hey, you can save yourself a lot of headache by simply using a biological air-support system.

    Nature has been here to provide air for billions upon billions of years.

    Probably cost you under $500 in total, for infinity high quality air.

    http://www.seasteading.org/interact/forums/engineering/infrastructure/submarine-oxygen-supply

    calm aware desire choice love express intuit move

    #12557
    Avatar of OCEANOPOLIS
    OCEANOPOLIS
    Participant

    Is this a $10,000.00 substead for dogs?

    #12559
    Avatar of TheTimPotter
    TheTimPotter
    Participant

    Trash bags?

    #12571
    Avatar of shredder7753
    shredder7753
    Participant

    answer the fucking QUESTION tusa!

    #12572
    Avatar of OCEANOPOLIS
    OCEANOPOLIS
    Participant

    the trash bags are for the dog poop :) ?

    #12567
    Avatar of tusavision
    tusavision
    Participant

    Price of Ammonium Nitrate $934.12/ton (reference source #8)

    NH4NO3(s) —–>N2O(g) +2H2O(L) (reference source #9)

    Moles N2O = 35 g / 44 g/mol= 0.795
    the ratio is 1 : 1
    Moles NH4NO3 needed = 0.795
    Mass NH4NO3 = 0.795 mol x 80 g/mol= 63.6 g of NH4NO3 required to produce 35g of N2O

    Catalytic Decomposition of Nitrous Oxide

    activation energy: 1000°C(thermal) >200°C(catalytic)

    reaction enthalpy: 82kJ/Mol

    reaction temperature: 1300 °C (reference source #10)

    2N2O(g) —> 2N2(g) + O2(g) + Heat (reference source #11)

    97.7°F = Critical Temperature of N2O (reference source #12)

    1069-1278 psi = Critical Pressure of N2O

    Density(liquid @ 86°F) = 39.1 lb/cubic feet

    Water Capacity of a AL80 SCUBA tank: 678 Cubic Inches(0.392361 ft³)

    15.34lbs N20(86°F liquid) per SCUBA tank

    44.013 g/mol n2o

    1.977 g/L (gas)


    Reference Sources

    #8 http://www.nationalipa.org/PDFpricingdocs/Harrell's%20Southeast%20Price%20List%20March%201%202009.pdf

    #9 http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090118102336AAITQNU

    #10 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

    #11 http://hy.tsinghua.edu.cn/teacher/index_files/Page335.htm

    #12 http://www.o2-technology.com/tech/TheNitrousOxideTemperaturePressureRelationship.pdf

    #12573
    Avatar of tusavision
    tusavision
    Participant

    shredder7753 wrote:

    answer the fucking QUESTION tusa!

    What question?

    No, the trash bags are for storing liquid water and air compressed to 33 ATM (1/33 it’s volume at 1 ATM)

    #12574
    Avatar of shredder7753
    shredder7753
    Participant

    tusavision wrote:

    shredder7753 wrote:

    answer the fucking QUESTION tusa!

    What question?

    No, the trash bags are for storing liquid water and air compressed to 33 ATM (1/33 it’s volume at 1 ATM)

    [/quote]

    u specified 200 NM offshore.

    stationkeeping!

    #12575
    Avatar of tusavision
    tusavision
    Participant

    tusavision wrote:

    Price of Ammonium Nitrate $934.12/ton (reference source #8)

    NH4NO3(s) —–>N2O(g) +2H2O(L) (reference source #9)

    Moles N2O = 35 g / 44 g/mol= 0.795
    the ratio is 1 : 1
    Moles NH4NO3 needed = 0.795
    Mass NH4NO3 = 0.795 mol x 80 g/mol= 63.6 g of NH4NO3 required to produce 35g of N2O

    Catalytic Decomposition of Nitrous Oxide

    activation energy: 1000°C(thermal) >200°C(catalytic)

    reaction enthalpy: 82kJ/Mol

    reaction temperature: 1300 °C (reference source #10)

    2N2O(g) —> 2N2(g) + O2(g) + Heat (reference source #11)

    97.7°F = Critical Temperature of N2O (reference source #12)

    1069-1278 psi = Critical Pressure of N2O

    Density(liquid @ 86°F) = 39.1 lb/cubic feet

    Water Capacity of a AL80 SCUBA tank: 678 Cubic Inches(0.392361 ft³)

    15.34lbs N20(86°F liquid) per SCUBA tank

    44.013 g/mol n2o

    1.977 g/L (gas)


    Reference Sources

    #8 http://www.nationalipa.org/PDFpricingdocs/Harrell's%20Southeast%20Price%20List%20March%201%202009.pdf

    #9 http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090118102336AAITQNU

    #10 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

    #11 http://hy.tsinghua.edu.cn/teacher/index_files/Page335.htm

    #12 http://www.o2-technology.com/tech/TheNitrousOxideTemperaturePressureRelationship.pdf

    1 pound = 453.59237 grams

    15.34*453.59=6958.7 grams of N2O per scuba tank (3519.8 Liters at 1 ATM)

    Therefore:

    1 AL80 SCUBA tank holds 158 mol of n2o

    remembering that:

    2N2O(g) —> 2N2(g) + O2(g) + Heat (reference source #11)

    158N2O= 158N2 + 79O2

    158(28.0134 g)+79(31.9989 g)=AL80 tank air production capacity in grams

    4426+2527.9 = 6953.9 grams of air

    weight of air = 1.294 kg/m3

    5.37m^3 of air per scuba tank

    1 cubic meter = 35.3146667 cubic feet

    189.639 = cubic feet of air per AL80 scuba tank

    energy produced per AL80 of N2O converted to air:

    82kJ/Mol

    158*82=12956kJ

    Now that we know we want 158 mol of n2o, we can calculate the weight, volume, and price of the NH4NO3 precursor.

    NH4NO3(s) —–>N2O(g) +2H2O(L)

    158(NH4NO3)= 12646.85 grams of NH4NO3

    12.647 kg of NH4NO3 = 1 AL80 of N2O + 316(18.0153 g water)

    water production of 12.647 kg of NH4NO3 = 5.69kg h2o

    #12576
    Avatar of tusavision
    tusavision
    Participant

    shredder7753 wrote:

    tusavision wrote:

    shredder7753 wrote:

    answer the fucking QUESTION tusa!

    What question?

    No, the trash bags are for storing liquid water and air compressed to 33 ATM (1/33 it’s volume at 1 ATM)

    [/quote]

    u specified 200 NM offshore.

    stationkeeping!

    [/quote]

    So long as I don’t get within 200 nm of land, I don’t have to stationkeep.

    Particually if I’m in a gyre.

    Otherwise, by controlling the buoyancy of the platform I can move in and out of wind/currents depending on their direction.

    I also have more monopropellant than it would take to launch a satellite.

    So stationkeeping isn’t a question. It’s trivial.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Structure Designs’ is closed to new topics and replies.



Posted on at

Categories:

Written by

Blog/Newsletter

Donate