At The Seasteading Institute, we work to enable seasteading communities — floating cities — which will allow the next generation of pioneers to peacefully test new ideas for government. The most successful can then inspire
change in governments around the world.
This is an audacious vision that will take decades to fully realize. We strongly believe in incrementalism – breaking this huge vision down into manageable, practical steps.
Here is our four-page brochure in PDF format.
Our Program: Increase Seasteading Entrepreneurship, Research Engineering and Legal Challenges, Engage in Political and Ocean Industry Diplomacy, and Build a Movement of Aspiring Seasteaders
The Seasteading Institute has built a program which supports the strategic objective of “sustainable seasteading” (as defined above).
As a non-profit organization, our role is not to build seasteads ourselves, but to set the stage in order to empower others to do so. Our program therefore focuses on business development, engineering and legal research, political and industry diplomacy and building a community of aspiring seasteaders.
We are expanding our all aspects of our research this year through our partnerships with academic institutions and maritime professionals. As part of our strategy for 2013, we are developing a Comprehensive Seastead Project, based on feedback from our network of financially independent individuals, and on the expertise of a mixture of our advising team and outside firms. We hope to be able to market the plan to a group who can actualize the first seasteading community within the next few years.
- Our engineering team is investigating multiple designs for an affordable yet comfortable seastead, which would appeal to a sufficient number of pioneers. (We expect the community to comprise a mixture of full-time and part-time residency, as well as timeshares.)
- We are measuring logistical costs associated with theseastead’s operations, based on assumptions from survey responses on preferred locations, maximum travel times, and business needs.
- Our team is working with oceanographers and geopolitical experts to assess the most desirable and practical locations for the placement of the seastead.
Bettering the world through seasteading requires the support and actions of a large and diverse community. This is why we put great effort into building our movement. We reach out to the public by cooperating with the media and being featured in numerous news articles; working with an army of volunteer ambassadors; speaking at conferences; writing blogs and newsletters; and hosting meetups, conferences and other events.
The Poseidon Award: Inspiring The World’s First Independent Seastead by 2015
The Poseidon Award is our prize for the establishment of the first independent seasteading community–the seed for the world’s first ocean city-state. This will be a major milestone for the seasteading movement to represent critical progress and is achievable in a relatively short period of time.
The Poseidon Award will include the Poseidon Monument, a physical tribute to the first seasteading pioneers. It will have inscribed on it the names of The Seasteading Institute Argonauts — major donors who have helped make the seasteading movement a reality.
The Poseidon Award will be awarded to the first seastead which:
– Has at least 50 full-time residents.
– Is financially self-sufficient.
– Offers seastead real estate on the open market.
– Has de-facto political autonomy.