Ephemerisle 2010 Cancellation

by

We regret to tell our community that after much discussion this week, we are canceling Ephemerisle 2010 due to insurance costs. The estimate for insurance-related expenses has risen from an early estimate of $55,000 to a total of $135,000, with much of the jump happening a week ago. This caused us to take a long, hard look at Ephemerisle’s budget and the ROI of the event as a whole.

While we think that Ephemerisle is an extremely valuable part of the long-term strategy of seasteading, with input from our board, staff, and community we have decided that the price tag for Ephemerisle 2010 is too high to be a responsible use of funds. Instead, we will be directing the funds into other projects to advance seasteading – including trying to lower insurance costs so that we can hold Ephemerisle 2011.

It’s sad to be canceling such an exciting event, but as an organization with such an audacious mission, it’s inevitable that we will undertake high-risk projects, some of which will go poorly. When that happens, it’s critical that we be able to admit it and course correct. Our sadness is also tempered by the knowledge that our work at The Seasteading Institute is directed at addressing exactly the issue that stopped us this time – the high barriers to experimentation caused by current systems, like current liability law.

For more details, please see the Ephemerisle.org blog post announcement.

5 comments

  1. Jeff Chan 9:30 am

    I’m sorry to hear the news.  I’m sure it was a very difficult decision for everyone to make.  While I was starting to see some benefits in Ephemerisle, I hope this allows TSI to focus on Seasteading more directly this year.

    BTW, I’d still like possibly help organize a model testing contest that I proposed for Ephemerisle at a different venue, maybe in the bay or a beach, lake or pond with some waves.  That’s assuming Vince won’t fly us all out to Anguilla.  ;)

  2. Carl Pålsson 11:46 pm

    Relocate the festival @ +12 nm. Problem solved.

  3. vincecate 12:20 am

    Jeff:   BTW, I’d still like possibly help organize a model testing contest that I proposed for Ephemerisle at a different venue, maybe in the bay or a beach, lake or pond with some waves.  That’s assuming Vince won’t fly us all out to Anguilla.  ;)

    Vince:  Nope, can’t do that.  However, I can pledge prizes of 1 week in my small guest house for each of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place contestants (Anguilla is a Caribbean island with fantastic beaches).   I will even include a car for the week.   But no plane tickets. 

     

  4. Patri 1:46 am

    I wish. From what I’ve been learning about US liability law, it isn’t clear that is enough. Even advertising in the US is considered to subject you to US liability. We would have to relocate +12nm, use only organizers and staff with non-US citizenships, make sure all assets are located out of the US, and that no advertising or event solicitation occurs in the US. At least, that’s the case for medical liability, and it may well be the same for a festival.

    All those things are achievable in the long-run, but they aren’t easy. In the US, at least, which is where we organizers are located now. Another long-run strategy is to locate the event in a friendlier region…

  5. OCEANOPOLIS 11:28 pm

    Hi all. Even though I couldnt participate to this year Ephemerisle Festival, it saddens me to hear this bad news. But "saddened" is not the proper word. Outrage, would be the proper one, directed to the insurance companies. $ 135,000.00,..??? For insuranc alone???  For that money you can buy your own used barge. Anyway, it is what it is,…Talking of relocation now, how about the Florida Keys?, sometime in Sept thru Nov ? or even sooner. Prices are much cheaper there than California, the local govrnment is less intrusive,  the waters and the reefs are beautifull, and the locals are friendly.

    I will be taking my boat down there next week, destination and relocation  Key West. If TSI would consider this, I will volunteer my time to find a good location @ a decent price. Pls feel free to contact me.

    Octavian Gheorghe

    Cel: 561-634-0685

    E-mail: mr.tavi@hotmail.com

    P.S.: I might not return calls (or e-mails) right away since I will be out @ sea, but i will check it while in port. I would estimate around $150,000.00 to be the whole cost of the Festival, room and board, renting a nice waterfront location, a barge and a bunch of small boats to get on the water.

     

     

     

The comments are closed.