August 10, 2009 — The Seasteading Institute is excited to announce that [registration is open](http://seasteading.org/interact/events/conference09) for the second annual Seasteading Conference, to be held September 28-30, 2009 in San Francisco, California.
Building on the success of last year’s conference, TSI has expanded this year’s schedule to 3 days and recruited a lineup of prominent speakers, including executive director [Patri Friedman](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patri_Friedman), Paypal cofounder [Peter Thiel](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel), and
Stanford economist [Paul Romer](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Romer) (more listed below). TSI invites the community to learn more about our work and participate in talks, workshops, socials, and a seasteading simulation!
Conference attendees are also invited to join TSI for our first-ever floating festival, [Ephemerisle](http://ephemerisle.org/), conveniently scheduled for the weekend following the conference. To be held October 2-4 in the Sacramento River Delta, Ephemerisle will celebrate political experimentation, community, and art. Join us as we take our ideas to the water!
To learn more and register for the conference, please visit us here: [http://seasteading.org/interact/events/conference09](http://seasteading.org/interact/events/conference09).
Patri Friedman founded The Seasteading Institute in 2008 with the goal of establishing permanent, autonomous, politically innovative ocean communities. TSI is taking an incremental approach to creating homesteads on the high seas, and welcomes input and participation from the community.
* [Patri Friedman](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patri_Friedman): Opening Keynote (Executive Director, The Seasteading Institute)
* [Peter Thiel](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel): Back To The Future (Philanthropist and PayPal co-founder)
* [Michael Strong](http://www.flowidealism.org/Home/about-us.html): Seasteading for Entrepreneurial Government, Innovation, and Letting a Thousand Nations Bloom (CEO and Chief Visionary Officer, FLOW)
[Paul Romer](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Romer): Charter Cities (Senior Fellow, Stanford Center for International Development and Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research)
* [David Friedman](http://www.daviddfriedman.com/): Legal Systems Very Different From Our Own (Professor, Santa Clara University)
* [Joe Lonsdale](http://seasteading.org/about-seasteading/about-us/our-team#Joe): Ocean-Based Business Models (Chairman of the Board, The Seasteading Institute)
* [Sean Hastings](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Hastings): Experiences with HavenCo and SeaLand (Co-founder, HavenCo)
* Erwin Strauss: How To Start Your Own Country (Author, [How To Start Your Own Country](http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893626156/theseastinsti-20))
* Russ George: Ocean Stewardship (Founder, Planktos Science)
* Rodney Mims-Cook: How Architecture Shapes Society (Founder of [Rodney M. Cook Interests](http://www.rodneymimscook.com/), Founding Trustee of The Prince of Wales’ Foundation for Architecture)
and many more.
This release can be linked as: [http://seasteading.org/stay-in-touch/press-releases/the-seasteading-institute-announces-its-second-annual-conference](http://seasteading.org/stay-in-touch/press-releases/the-seasteading-institute-announces-its-second-annual-conference).
_About TSI: The Seasteading Institute is a California nonprofit corporation that is in the process of applying for recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code. TSI’s mission is to establish permanent, autonomous ocean communities to enable experimentation and innovation with diverse social, political, and legal systems._