February 2009 Newsletter
March 2, 2009 by admin
Welcome to TSI’s February 2009 Newsletter! While [January](http://seasteading.org/stay-in-touch/blog/3/2009/02/03/january-2009-newsletter) was mainly about releases like our [ClubStead] design, new front page, and the Wired Magazine article, this month we focused on longer-term planning, from scheduling [Ephemerisle] and the Seasteading09 conference to a 100-year [timeline] for seasteading.
* [Membership Program] is almost complete, will be kicked off in the next few weeks.
* $1000 [Design Contest](http://www.seasteading.org/interact/design-contest) is running, and with two months to go, we are excited to already have 4 entries!
* TSI GTGs
* [February Social](http://www.meetup.com/sfbay-seasteading/calendar/9682984/) at Red Rock Cafe was excellent, about 25 people and many new faces again. Moving the socials around the Bay Area seems to work well at bringing a variety of different people.
* March Social – tentatively Saturday March 28th in the East Bay.
* Seasteading Conference / Ephemerisle:
* After some discussion and polling y’all, we decided against the proposed July 4th date. Instead, the conference will be Sep. 28-30 (Mo evening, full day Tuesday, Wed through dinner, location TBD), and [Ephemerisle] will be Fri Oct. 2 – Sun Oct 4 (in the Sacremento River Delta).
* This date allows everyone (including us) a bit more prep time, doesn’t interfere with holiday plans, is a year from [seasteading08], is a good time in relation to [Burning Man](http://burningman.com/) (long enough for people to have recovered, short enough for them to still have some post-festival glow), and is during the full moon.
* The river delta location has a number of advantages, including that it is already used frequently for (smaller) boating parties, so our use will be uncontroversial. It is not a challenging environment (beyond being on water) as there are few waves, but we think that’s fine for the first Ephemerisle. We will likely feature a prototype contest during the festival for models able to deal with higher-wave conditions than at the event. The hope is for these contest entrants of 2009 to become the standard platforms/vessels of 2010, which would then be in a tougher environment, and would again feature a contest for models to push the boundaries again, so we can incrementally make our way to an Ephemerisle in international waters over the course of 3-5 years.
* A full press release with more details will follow when we have a conference site, festival location, and more details nailed down.
* [Community] stats for February – January stats in (). We’re very excited at the continued rapid growth of the mailing list and registered website users.
* [seasteading.org](http://seasteading.org/): 1067 registered users (800)
* [Facebook Group](http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5490011387): 330 (276)
* [Mailing List](http://groups.google.com/group/seasteading-announcements): 318 (211)
* [LJ](http://community.livejournal.com/seastead/): 36 (35)
* [Website](/) [migrated to a new host](http://seasteading.org/stay-in-touch/blog/3/2009/02/25/migrated-new-host) which is faster and should be more reliable. Statistics:
* Again, our 2nd best traffic month ever, beating January and only exceeded by last May’s slashdot/gizmodo/etc.
* Feb daily averages: 2400 visits (1900), 11k pages (10K), 102K hits (64K).
* Interesting Blog Posts:
* [Vince's Seasteading Views](http://seasteading.org/stay-in-touch/blog/3/2009/02/26/vinces-seasteading-views) – Patri posts about [Vince's manifesto](http://wiki.seasteading.org/index.php/User:Vincecate/SeasteadingViews) on the single-family seastead approach, which is [being discussed on the forums](http://seasteading.org/interact/forums/community/general-chat/vinces-seasteading-views) as well. It’s great to have such knowledgeable community members thinking about the best strategy to move seasteading forward!
* Liz posts [A bunch of rich white guys? So were the founding fathers - and their success brought freedom to everyone](http://seasteading.org/stay-in-touch/blog/3/2009/02/11/a-bunch-rich-white-guys-so-were-founding-fathers-and-their-success-b), in answer to a common question.
* [FAQ: Why Not Just Hide?](http://seasteading.org/stay-in-touch/blog/3/2009/02/01/faq-why-not-just-hide) – An answer for the extended FAQ.
##### Volunteer Coordinator Report (from James)
* Key Accomplishments
* Justine Lam and Jessica Richman joined us at the BIL conference. They are planning an organizational outreach program for us, researching lists of think-tanks, schools, conferences, etc. we might be able to collaborate with and devising effective ways of reaching out to them.
* Cheryl Cline came to one of our Bay Area meetups, and is now helping write material for the upcoming seasteading book and a seasteading article for expatriation website [EscapeArtist.com](http://www.escapeartist.com/).
* Basia Montauk will be joining us shortly, helping with community relations and publicity among other things — welcome, Basia!
* Our ever-present sysadmin, [Ben Lavender](http://www.seasteading.org/members/bhuga), got us moved over to a new hosting provider, which should make the site run much more smoothly.
* Some much-needed help on our website development team — thanks and welcome to Mike Norman and Sean Lynch, new website sysadmins, and Steve Kane and Andrea Fassina, new developers.
* We’re talking to a number of other cool, smart volunteer candidates as well. Our sincere thanks to everyone who has been offering their time.
* Key Needs ([complete list](http://wiki.seasteading.org/index.php/VolunteerList))
* [Website Development Manager](http://wiki.seasteading.org/index.php/VolunteerList#Website_Development_Manager)
* [Website Product Managers](http://wiki.seasteading.org/index.php/VolunteerList#Website_Product_Manager)
* [Volunteer Recruiter](http://wiki.seasteading.org/index.php/VolunteerList#Volunteer_Recruiter)
##### Wayne’s Engineering Report
* [Web cast MI&T engineering meeting on 5Feb2009](http://www.justin.tv/seasteading/all) (The webcast quality was awful; we will have to do much better.)
* Solicited and answered questions concerning [ClubStead]
* Dropped the Hawaii to SF loop from consideration.
* Moved Seastead to be located off of Southern Calif. coast; Off San Francisco location has been dropped.
* Increased payload from 6000 tons to 7000 tons to better match the estimated payload mass.
* Wave information table for off San Diego is:
How Often Wind Speed Wave Height Period (year) m/sec ft/sec m ft sec 1 16.04 52.62 7.00 22.97 12.5 10 17.5 57.41 7.70 25.26 12.5 100 18.9 62.01 8.30 27.23 12.5
* Wave information for off Santa Monica is similar.
* The updated design has somewhat thicker columns and slightly higher air gap.
* Fly-by video for ClubStead is nearing completion
##### Patri’s Engineering Updates:
* The [ClubStead Engineering Page](http://seasteading.org/strategic-areas/engineering/clubstead) has been updated with some new information:
* [Engineering Q&A text](http://seasteading.org/strategic-areas/engineering/clubstead#QnA)
* [List of questions for next Q&A](http://www.yayboo.com/vote.php?list_id=966).
* [Improved SketchUp Model](http://www.seasteading.org/files/clubstead.2009.03.01.skp) – more polished and with more architectural detail.
* New stills of the more detailed model rendered with [Rhino 3D](http://www.rhino3d.com/) (as seen above).
* The 3d flyby is still in progress – turns out that rendering at HDTV resolution takes awhile…
* We are still discussing how to proceed next, including [the possibility](http://seasteading.org/interact/forums/community/feedback-tsi/reward-ideas-and-other-input-which-significantly-advances-sea) of an engineering design contest, perhaps to be held at [Ephemerisle]
* [Free Talk Live Interview](http://seasteading.org/stay-in-touch/blog/3/2009/02/09/patri-mixes-it-w-some-fspers-free-talk-live).
* Upcoming stories in 2 major print outlets (6-figure and 7-figure circulation).
* TSI Talks & Conference Appearances for March and early April, from [our public TSI Google Calendar](http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=trraikn2pu2pukakj44m2shfqg%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles) ([XML](http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/trraikn2pu2pukakj44m2shfqg%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic), [iCal](http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/trraikn2pu2pukakj44m2shfqg%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics), [HTML](http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=trraikn2pu2pukakj44m2shfqg%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles))
* CT – Wed, March 4 – Patri speaking to Yale College Libertarians. 7:30 EST, William L. Harkness Hall, Room 119, Yale University, New Haven, CT, open to the public.
* NYC – Thu, March 5 – Social meetup open to all. 7PM EST onwards, Gossip, 733 9th Avenue, New York, NY 10019, 212 265-2720, firstname.lastname@example.org, We have the 2nd floor to ourselves. Gossip is on 9th Avenue, between 49th and 50th on the West side of 9th Ave. Closest trains are the C/E to 50th St., followed by the 1/9 to 49th or the N/R to 49th. Closest MTA Bus coming from the North or South is the M11, closest from the East is the M49. Contact Guy Tower for more information regarding transit or local food: email@example.com
* NH – March 6 – 8: Patri at [NH Liberty Forum](http://www.freestateproject.org/libertyforum), giving a talk Saturday at 11AM EST in the Main Hall. (You must pay to attend the event)
* MA – March 9th, social in Boston open to all. BOSTON BEER WORKS, 112 Canal Street, Boston, MA 02114, 7PM-10PM EST.
* Notable blog posts / referrers:
* [Blender Nation](http://www.blendernation.com/2009/02/05/seastead-design-contest/) on the design contest.
* Bitter End, a maritime blog, [_Seasteading Water World 2.0 Or Utopia? - You be the judge_](http://captrichardrodriguez.blogspot.com/2009/02/seasteading-water-world-20-or-utopia.html).
* Declan McCullagh’s CNET article: [The next frontier: Seasteading the oceans](http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10154185-38.html)
* The Popular Science blog: [Seastead, Ahoy! Don't like your government? Maybe it's time to make one of your own](http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-amp-space/article/2009-02/seastead-ahoy)
* Patrick Takahashi on Huffington Post: [Blue Revolution](http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-takahashi/blue-revolution_b_166977.html)
* [BLDG BLOG on the Seastead Design Competition](http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/seastead-design-competition.html)
* [Brad Taylor](http://bradtaylor.wordpress.com/2009/02/27/some-thoughts-on-seasteading/) has some thoughts on the inherently libertarian aspects of seasteading.
#### Administrative / Misc
* Our [timeline] for seasteading, while still under development, is ready for review by the community. Please discuss it [on the forums](http://seasteading.org/interact/forums/community/feedback-tsi/seasteading-timeline-feedback-wanted). We are hard at work on our 2009/2010 strategy as well.
* We have started work on our 2008 Annual Report & Form 990 (tax return).
* Still muddling through HR details like an employee handbook.
#### TSI Events Calendar
[Michael Dent]: http://seasteading.org/members/michaeldent
[Roman Hardgrave]: http://seasteading.org/members/rhardgrave
[Staff Bio]: http://seasteading.org/about-tsi/bios
[Press Page]: http://seasteading.org/learn-more/press
[In The News]: http://seasteading.org/about-tsi/in-the-news
[Membership Program]: /contribute/membership-program