Weekly Snippets, 4/28/08
April 29, 2008 by admin
- Joep set up wiki.seasteading.org, so we now have a wiki!
- Blog uptake picked up considerably, as did website traffic:
- Biggest blog was Marginal Revolution, which gave a nice boost to website traffic – Friday 4/25 was our best day so far (9500 pages, 2500 visits).
- Also an article in Reason appeared today: Homesteading on the High Seas: Floating Burning Man, "jurisdictional arbitrage," and other adventures in anarchism
- Most amusing to me was a Swedish post titled "OMFG!!! BioShock IRL!!!", really crappy machine translation here.
- Current monthly run-rate is about 50K visits/mo. And we’ve had 50 user registrations in our first 2 weeks, which is excellent.
- First donations! €100 (Joep), $50 (private).
- Talked to Floating Islands International about possible collaboration.
- We have a board meeting this week, and will be finalizing 2007 strategy so we can get some job/volunteer reqs and projects posted.
- We’re on track to apply for nonprofit status in a couple weeks.
- Wayne toured some potential office/workshop/dock space in Redwood City, there’s also a conference center on the water there we might snag for our first conference in the fall.
- Research – natch
- Engineering – Wayne wrote up a Base Seastead design to serve as a strawman for discussion. We talked to a helpful offshore structure engineer and got a lot of useful info about how to set up our research program.